October 11, 2013
Listen to the audio recording of the class online: [audio:http://en.prabhatsamgiita.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2010/08/Intro_purpose_of_human_life_YamaNiyama_11Oct2013.mp3]
- Spiritual Endeavor: For fulfillment and meaningfulness of life – of being a human. Without which are conflicts, disharmony and sufferings – lack of self understanding is the source of all frictions – also life is beyond what you see – think of your position and purpose –
- In the past this developed as nature worship and rituals. – Extroversive – defocus – seeds of conflicts and dogma – ignorance –
- Introversive is integrating.. towards one – unification – so inherently less conflicts and harmonizing – Inner perception of self is hampered if mind is not calm – Need control on our conduct – However we also have to live in the material world and have to balance with it – Subjective goal and objective compromises – Mind may be influenced by Spirit and/or outer world – Both must be balanced.
- Yama / Niyam – disciplined conduct – to help us balance and facilitate inner practices – Yama = to control – From Yam is Yantra i.e. machine – Machine with specific output and efficiency based on its design. The principles of Yama are sub-machines which allow controlled behavior in the outer world. Niyama is more like self regulatory rules. It regulates conducts relating to self for inner purifications. Yama requires contact with others and external expression. Niam is self contained.
- Each machine based on its design produces specific output – Human mind and body is a machine designed for attainment of the Supreme self. No other machine can do that. In this journey Yama machine helps us to make inner perception easier.
- Bhaeravii Chakra: Also a machine, that helps balance our spiritual and objective energies. Downward triangle relates / links mind to cognition and upward relates / links it to physical energy. They should be balanced and the more they are balanced the higher potential will your mind reach. It is therefore called Bhaeravii Chakra because it links spiritual and physical energies – It links Kaushiki and Bhawani Shakti. i.e. it links causal matrix and physical vibration. All vibration emerge from Kaushiki shakti, yet it s a realm of no vibration. Contact with Bhaeravii Chakra elevates the mind. Mind receives spiritual inspiration. Sadhaka sit in this chakra in the burial ground to do sadhana and obtain and imbibe the spirit of this chakra.
- Yama practices will be expressed externally and others will know of it. Your actions can not be concealed. The practice emerges from within but expresses outside. It establishes a link between internal and external world and therefore we say that the spiritual practice begins with Yama. Yama is a guiding point for the mind and leads it to Dharma. Yama has five principles and when your mind comes in contact with the outer world, it should be governed by these principles. These principles are : Ahimsa, Satya, Asteya, Aparigraha, Brahmacharya.